OxEdit Issues and Fixes
Improved in 8.0
- Windows: support for high resolution screens (HiDPI).
- All: interface refresh.
- macOS: OxEdit is now a 64-bit program.
- maxOS: Find replace dialog can remain open while working elsewhere.
Improved and Fixed in 7.1
OSX Tools/Add/Remove Modules/Load From: crashes OxEdit.
Improved: OxEdit/OxMetrics saving: if upper ascii or unicode characters are present in the document:
save as UTF-8 with BOM (previously only if unicode characters > 0xFF=255 were found).
Problem with println("S\xF8ren"); and println("Søren");
When making the file UTF-8 (by adding some unicode in comment), the output appears properly
in OxEdit/OxMetrics (but not on the Windows console, because that cannot handle UTF-8).
- On the Windows console: depends on the active code page (chcp).
- in OxEdit: skips quite a bit of output after that.
Can make the Windows console UTF-8 by using chcp 65001 and the Lucinda Console font, then correct in both.
So best solution is for OxEdit/OxMetrics to treat all files with upper ASCII as UTF-8, not just
files with characters > 0xFF.
OxEdit/OxMetrics needs to distinguish:
- ASCII (<=0x7F)
- ANSI (<=0xFF)
- UTF-8 with BOM, default to ASCII if no chars >0x7F found
- UTF-8 without BOM, need to autodetect upon load
- others only with BOM
Improved and Fixed in 7.0
- OS X: support for retina display.
- OS X: Cmd+V in find dlg pastes into main window instead.
- OS X: paste from history: listed as Command+number, but is Ctrl+number
- Projects are now indifferent to using forward or backward slashes in path
- Close project: now closes all **project** files (no more question to close all files)
Added Open to context menu, removed double appearance of context menu.
- Context help for Firefox gave warning message that key wasn't found;
Chrome Help Context jump doesn't always work
Improved and Fixed in 6.2
Chrome/Safari/Opera frame loading fixed (was entering infinite
reload loop). Improved default browser detection under Windows.
Improved Chrome/Safari jumping to help item.
Improved and Fixed in 6.1
- New: Added command to insert date and time (short-cut is F5)
- New: Using the default Windows 7 fonts for dialogs and workspace. Using the selected
fixed-width font as the default fixed-width font throughout.
- New: Added coding_eol property for .def files, and using it
to color preprocessor lines in Ox and C/C++.
- New: Added ability to wrap a selection, and to select wrapping at the document level
- New: Added yellow Information panel for certain load messages.
- Changed: The default font under Windows 7 is now Consolas. This looks better
on LCD screens and is not quite as small as Courier New at 9 pt.
The default font is one point smaller than before, to follow the display settings more
closely. The font size can be adjusted from the View menu.
- Changed: Created separate Format menu for text files (was previously
submenu of Edit menu).
- Changed: No syntax coloring of incomplete string
- Changed: Show white space didn't show tab in string
- Fixed: When `Use tabs when there is no file type definition' is
unchecked, it can happen that a file is only partially read when
several tabs are converted to spaces.
- Fixed: Deleting long column: too much repainting makes it slow, now doing
it at the end.
- Fixed: Could have repaint issue when using C-style to remove line
breaks with the caret at the bottom.
- Fixed: Workspace tooltips flicker.
- Fixed linux: caret sometimes left behind, and paint issue when toggling Insert;
also use narrower spacing (relevant for Monospace font).
Improved and Fixed in 6.0
- Introduced automatic switching between ASCII and UTF8 when
saving and when entering text. Fixed typing in text file after adding diacritic.
Diacritic at start of line (which is an error, because it must follow a character)
now shown in red.
- Linux - Successive reload (for outside modification) dlgs are displayed
on top of each other, but can only click on the bottom one (if that happens to be the check order).
- Linux - Paste button flickers on mouse move, but only when other program
puts something on clipboard (can take up to 10% CPU).
- Linux - title doesn't show document name: difficult to see which doc it is.
- Linux - Shut-down splash doesn't show text.
- OS X - Solved slow interface (was caret), very much faster text handling.
Improved and Fixed in 5.1
- Added Goto Location and Open Location on (right-click) context menu. These are added
when a line consists of filename (number) as used in Find In Files.
Then Goto Location is the same as double clicking on the filename: it opens
the file with the caret at the specified line. Open Location is the same as
opening the file in the shell (e.g. a html file is opened in the default browser).
- Added shownumbers option to def file. Using shownumbers=1
- Support for Mac OS X and Linux (32 and 64-bit).
- option to choose font
- High-light non-ASCII characters in hexadecimal view. Displaying control characters
which do not have a symbol as inverted question mark in text view.
- Firefox help problem when it is not already open: opens two instances
- Givewin had Ctrl+scroll wheel for Page Up/Down scrolling.
Restored this feature.
- Tooltips could appear when OxEdit is not on top
- When save fails (write-protected) offer Save As dialog
Improved and Fixed in 5.0
- Improved keyboard support.
- Improved support for Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2
- Improved context switching when starting help link
Fixed in 4.1
- Creating a new Ox file, and then running it from OxMetrics
before saving: if the file is saved under a different name, the old name
is used for running Ox, resulting in an error message that the file does
- Solved tooltip flicker in toolbar/combobox with large cursor
- Print: did not pick up default page size or duplex mode.
- Print Preview: Esc key now closes window; View % is sticky;
fixed page back/jump to last page; Change in zoom %/no columns did not update
page count in preview.
- Fixed Windows 2000 problem: all drop downs on comboboxes are only
one entry high.
- Tooltip management in workspace/doctabs took CPU usage up high.
Fixed in 4.04
- Added Ctrl+A shortcut for Copy All.
- Copy formatted didn't work.
Fixed in 4.02
- Can now drop files on text windows.
Reinstated right-button drag and drop with choice of move/copy/cancel.
- Searching from toolbar, followed by selection of
Show Find when nothing found caused a focus `hang' (i.e. no
part of the program would get the focus).
- Right-click in the workspace when a tooltip is shown
brings up the layout context menu instead of the document context menu.
Fixed in 4.01
- Customizing a toolbar with find/replace combobox.
The next use of the combobox will result in a crash.
To prevent the crash in version 4.00: exit and restart OxEdit after customizing the toolbar.
New in Oxedit 4
OxEdit 4 is a major upgrade of OxEdit. To match OxMetrics, the version
number jumped straight from 1.62 to 4.
Some highlights of the changes are:
- Support for foreign languages: internally, OxEdit uses unicode, while
files can be stored in a range of formats (ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16, etc.).
- Windows XP look and feel.
- Outlook style bars for Documents, open Project and Help to facilitate
- Better integration of modules in the context menus.
- Many small usability enhancements.
For OxEdit 1.6 users
- No support for Windows 95, 98 or ME.
- Projects can be opened in the new version, but, once saved, the
old OxEdit may have problems with it.
- Module configuration is not automatically copied accross to the
First save the modules that are defined in OxEdit 1.6.
Then load them into the new OxEdit using Tools/Remove Modules.
So the .tools file is compatible with the new OxEdit.
- The bar with open document tabs at the bottom of the screen
is hidden by default. It can be made visible from the Tools menu.
Similarly, the workspace can be hidden from the Tools menu.